Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Roasted Red Bell Peppers

I know last week I mentioned that I belong to a produce co-op but, I must tell you again how much we are enjoying the fresh fruits and veggies. This weekend I roasted 7 or 8 red bell peppers. It was super easy.

First, I put the peppers on the gas burners of my stove and burned the outsides of them until they were charred and black. I used tongs to turn them and keep them from rolling off the flame. You can do this on the grill but it takes less time if you can get the flame to touch the peppers.



Here are a few more on the other side of the stove.


After they were sufficiently charred, I put them in a large bowl and covered them with cling wrap to steam for 20 minutes.


After 20 minutes, I put them one at a time into a plastic bag and sort of smooshed it around without squashing the actual pepper. Most of the skin slides right off and stays in the bag. Some black left on it good so people know you fire roasted them. ***DON"T RINSE THEM WITH WATER TO CLEAN THEM OFF!!! YOU WILL WASH AWAY FLAVOR!!!***


Oh, look! There is a diving mask and snorkel on the counter behind the plastic bag above.
After I removed the pepper from the bag, I cut it open and scraped out all the seeds. Then laying out flat, I cut it into strips.



I put the strips into a jar and poured some olive oil over then to coat. I am storing them in the fridge for use in soups, on sandwiches or for whatever I want to use them. Roasting them makes them so sweet.
I am linking up with Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.




Blessed with Grace


9 comments:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

that is such a fun idea...I have never done that with peppers like that. :) I'll get your Homemade Gourmet out to you. So sorry but I forgot to give it to my hubby and tomorrow I'm teaching all day...Wed...but you'll have it. :)

SnoWhite said...

how creative! I'll have to try that sometime -- much less heat than heating up the oven.

Brenda said...

I've done this before, it works out quite well.

Unknown said...

No gas burners here so I roast my red peppers in a hot oven. They freeze so well and I enjoy them in the cold months. My favorite use is roasted red pepper sandwiches on homemade sourdough. YUM!

Blessings!
Gail

Unknown said...

Great tips for roasted bell pepper.

Unknown said...

Great tips for roasted bell pepper.

Unknown said...

GREAT!!! tips in roasting red peppers. THANKS!!! Geri

Unknown said...

I make roasted peppers like this all of the time when I can find them on sale. We use them in so many things. I would love for you to link up to Crock Pot Wednesday at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Mister Linky is ready for your favorite slow cooker recipe. Come check it out. Thanks. Debbie

Cole said...

I love to roast peppers on the grill!

Thanks so much for sharing with TATT too!